Purple Cupcake -->

~A story about a girl's insatiable obsession with purple, cupcakes, and everything else in between! However, most recently, Nyjah.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

How to make frosted popcorn favors

As promised, this is how I make frosted popcorn favors. I had an order for 100 blueberry, chocolate and caramel favors today. So I thought it would be cool to snap these photos even though it was hard as hell! Opening up the Whirley Pop is like asking for death itself. The melted frosting burns like lava!
Anywho, yes, I use a Whirley Popcorn maker! I know, I know, I should use a movie theatre-type maker but I don't know, I just don't want to buy one. They're huge and require a permanent place in the house because they are extremely heavy.
My husband insists I buy one. I've made enough money from just popcorn favors to pay for the big popcorn machine 10 times over. They cost well over $1,000. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I just don't know WHERE I would put the darn thing.

This is the first stage: I measure out just 3 ingredients and dump it into the Whirley Pop...

Stage 1



The second stage is the most critical of all. If the pot is too hot, you can burn the popcorn. Trial and error has made me perfect this stage with my eyes closed! Also had an extremely painful experience when I opened the lid to take a quick peek. Liquid sugar burns like a mofo!

Stage 2



This is the third stage where I transfer the cooked popcorn into large plastic bowls and let the popcorn cool on it's own without stirring it. Trial and error again has proved that this method prevents less breakage. DUH!!!!

Stage 3



This is the last stage where I bag them up, tag them and they're ready to be paid for!!!

Stage 4



This is the caramel flavored popcorn. A lot of grown-ups love this flavor. I get tons of orders for gallon-sized bags of this. I believe because it's a classic flavor.

Caramel popcorn



And lastly, Chocolate flavored popcorn. I love this one but I have been told that it tastes burned but it's just the dark cocoa flavoring. True chocoholics appreciate this flavor! (like me)

Chocolate popcorn

3 comments:

Blogger *karen said...

I never bothered to wonder how flavored popcorn was made before. It sounds like hard work. Do you get requests for "rainbow" popcorn, i.e. a mixture of different flavors?

7:59 AM  
Blogger Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

Sure does look like a lot of work, but I bet it takes fantastic! The popcorn mix I love the most is with buttered, caramel, and cheese - that combo is out of this world :)

8:56 AM  
Blogger purplecupcake said...

-Karen
Yes, I have. It's a very pretty color mixed together! I've had orders for unflavored popcorn. Go figure?

-Feathers,
That combo is reminds me of those huge tin cans filled with popcorn during Christmas. Delish!

10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home